Friday, August 29, 2008

Travel

I only shed a few tears, saying goodbye to my mom and other family, and then I moved swiftly into attack mode (I had a mission to accomplish). Getting to my gate with little hassle, I was watching CNN only to discover that on the day I was to travel, set months in advance, the FAA in Atlanta had a major computer glitch, causing delays all over the nation. I talked to my cousin, Shanika, who came to the airport to see me off and who was the first ot tell me I was delayed. Luckily, it was only for about 30 minutes. I bet there are still people sitting there, in the RDU terminal, waiting for their flights to come...

JFK's layover was unremarkable. I remember the construction of the airport was on the old side. Their aiport does need a little more seating...nothing more, really. I had a 6 hour layover, so plenty of time to think about these things.

My flight on Korean Air was or-gas-mic! I've flown internationally on American, United, and now I'm sure that Asian airlines are the way to go. Although you would think the seats would be smaller (Asians generally have less max in their gluts), it's actually the contrary. I had plenty of room, and the plane wasn't even fully seated, so there was a seat between me and my fellow passenger. I also got the coveted aisle seat, so my fear of climbing over people to pee was eliminated. Also, I got to choose between Korean and Western food, so I chose Korean and was treated to a lovely dish of bibimbop, a spicy rice, seaweed, and what-looked-like-mushroom concoction., The attendant gave me a sheet of direction on how to eat it, but they weren't needed as this dude named Walter, a Korean studying Swiss massage in NYC, just up and grabbed my bowl and started mixing stuff together. Thank God for him, but of course the American in me was taken aback. Walter and I didn't talk anymore until the flight ended, but he was so cool I had to get the virtual digits ^_^. Hopefully, more about him later! Korea Air's interface is also the biz-ness! So many options: Freecell, entire CDs (Dwele to Big Mama to F4), movies from all over the world... I was thoroughly entertained.

My gate at the Inchon airport (16) was also next to the only international Caribous Coffee! What a coincidence. I had an Americano that wasn't too bad, and saw my first automatic machine. It was a cute little kiosk, but a very prosperous one indeed. Pictures will be up later--I forgot to being my camera to this coffee shop--book shop hybrid. I'm surrounded by studious Chinese people. I'm feel at home.

My Irish coffee was served in wine glass. Oh, China, even your elegance is so different from my own!

*I'm too pressed for time and lazy to edit. Sorry in advance. When I can update from my dorm room, things will be better*

离厦大很近的咖啡馆儿

2 comments:

Sil76 said...

Yay! I'm so glad your trip went well:) International flights have nightmare potential, so I'm thrilled to hear yours was fab instead!

*happy wuggles*

Mel

psyche09 said...

Dear Derek,
I am glad that you are safe in Xiamen. Me and Brittney must you terribly. We think about you all the time whenever we pass by Meadowmont or go to a restaurant where someone puts dropped food back onto the plate ::sigh:: Anyway all is well here. I got my tattoo!!!! I shall email you more details!!

Hugs