Sunday, October 5, 2008

HK Fever

Part II

Hong Kong has always been a fantasy place for me. From the movies. Like I mentioned before, it was the Hong Kong movies that really got me interested in Chinese cultures when I was full-steam Japan ahead. Some of the neighborhoods we walked down the second day look like sets from those movies--cramped but clean, lots of unknowns around every corner, the clatter of Cantonese in the air, temples and high-rises close virtually falling on top of one another. It was awesome.

Hong Kong boys are also cuter than mainland boys I've scene (outside of Beijing)--people there have a slight pout of their lips, kind of like the French are notorious for, and their smart fashion sense make them severely attractive.

In Hong Kong, the streets are not paved with piss like in Shenzhen, but are paved with cobblestones or even concrete. The neighborhoods are all connected to one another across the SEZ (Special Economic Zone) and the island proper by a network of MTR (aka metro) called the Octopus because of its main ring and legged shape. I have my octopus card still, so if anyone wants to buy it from me he or she is more than welcome to.

The second day was spent mainly touring the different districts. The air was hot and sticky, and a few times there was a slight rain that never got to heavy. We walked along the edge of the harbor where you can see the habour being swept by the winds of YET ANOTHER typhoon--Typhoon Higo. We ate at several places, none of them as authentic as the place the day before because, well, we live in China to different degrees, and I've gotten my fill of searching for authentic Chinese cuisine when it's about 2 feet away from me in my little town of Xiamen.

Later on that night, I went to a pub/KTV called Tony's just outside of our hostel that catered to a special clientele. I met somewhere there from Britain, and we went to his place way out in the middle of no where so he could show me more of his Hong Kong. It got late, and I came back via taxi and had a chance to drive over the bridge to the SEZ (before we had taken a metro), and I saw the whole city buslting by moon-light. I'm glad I have a memory like this to myself, for me alone, and can remember the conversation I had with the cabbie who a) spoke English, b) used to live in Austrailia, c) cut the price in half, and d) let me pay in the mainland's currency, RMB.

I told the British dude that when I think of HK, I'll think of him. The specifics of our meeting are available by email if you ask and I trust you enough.^_^


A hand grenade that explodes guts. In a mall near a Ms. Field's ^___^


Me on the Habour.


From the ferry on the way across (Good idea, Daegan).


Buddhas with spray-painted faces? I think it's a sign from the Triad! >_>


A rope of incense in a random temple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaa you and your special times in Asia. Your encounters amuse me but be careful you can't trust expats! hehe