Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A New Subjectivity

So, I got out of Tsin's class a few hours ago. Since I've been in China, I've taken Chinese language classes, but we also have 2 classes just for us UNC students: Tsin' course of the varying perspectives one can take towards different social issues in China, and the other by a Professor Li from Xiamen University that is kind of a primer for China. Tsin's class is the far more interesting one, not just because it meets 2 times a week, but because it's discussion based and we get to pick the brains of our professor and each other. Some great conclusions are discovered.

Professor was about a "rejuvenating" China and how "a new subjectivity" is trying to be established. In the wake of all these economic changes and the upheaval caused by, say, world wars, korean war, vietnam war, cultural revolution, deng xiao ping, and all that jazz, Chinese people are trying to move into a more modern way of existing. By a modern way, one has to hold this idea next to the "old way," one where relationships are tied to kin, work units, etc, instead of new way where one must become an individual (not tied to all these factions) in order to succeed in the new modern society. The new subjectivity is different from the new individuality because subjectivity includes both being independent along with being able to put oneself into the greater rubric of society, i.e. he must see himself as standing alone while in connection to others. Basically, he asks the himself, "who the fuck am I and where in the hell do I belong?"

I agree with our professor's statement, but the concept seems strange to me. While most people go through an "identity crisis" or sorts, I feel that Americans, while negotiating their identity, never feel as disconnected to their "place" as Chinese people must. For example: as a gay/black/poor man, I tried to figure out who I am in a heterosexual/white/middle class society. However, throughout all my internal conflicts, I knew that where I belonged existed. I knew other people like me where out there, just out of reach, but knowledge of these groups were easily available via television and literature (not yet the Internet--it was the 90s). Chinese people who are looking to define themselves AND to receive acceptance from a group who thinks like them often times might come up empty handed. The sub-cultures of the US are fairly vocal, wealthy enough, and at times have political clout and power. In China, this is not the case. While people are indeed carving out an individual identity, once it is achieved, what can be done with it?

Just a thought. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting class, sounds like something I'd like to take. On the identity issue, I think Chinese are slowly finding ways to express their individuality, such as through blogs where opinions are strictly one's own and like minded people can exchange ideas. in china, it's not anywhere as easy to establish an identity and a sense of comfortable belonging as it is in us, but hey it's work in progress. hell, I think about where *I* belong in China as a meiguo huayi and I get all fuddled up, so identity crisis in general is a complicated issue, no straight answers really...