Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween

万圣节 (festival of 10,000 spirits) in China is not that different from the US, at least when you're my age. I'm not around elementary school children, so I didn't see them in their classes preparing costumes for an event they really don't understand (they just know it's fun), and while there were decorations up at certain locations, there wasn't a city-wide phenomenon like in the US. All the decorations were at places where foreigners frequent here in Xiamen, and the only so-called Halloween party was an ex-pat fuckfest that I didn't bother to attend.

A friend of mine, a Dutch boy named Wesley, and I went shopping for costumes. We didn't really know where to look, so we went to the largest shopping mall here to try our luck. We rode a taxi to SM广成 where, only about a 2 minute walk from the main entrance, there was a store set up in the middle of the main walkway devoted to Halloween gear. The costumes and paraphernalia there were nothing really impressive, but good enough to fit what I was looking for. There were not any full-fledged costumes, like giant jack-o-lanterns or pirate gear, but most of what they had were masks and assortments--the rest of the outfit you'd have to provide yourself. Wesley and I had a nice time trying on random masks and wigs for the Chinese people who took pictures for us, and we walked away with a bunny costume for Wesley and a blond afro wig for myself. What was running through my mind was, "White people love to wear afro wigs when they want to make a statement because they find our (black folks') type of hair to be a laughing matter. I'll play on that." Of course, no one conceived of that but me. I smiled at the thought as we went out.

Meanwhile, I was having stomach issues that day, so we made a detour by the pharmacy in the adjacent Wal-Mart and, unable to find Pepto-bismal, I bought some Chinese medicine called "正露丸" that stank to high heaven, looked like rat-droppings, and when taken on an empty stomach (like I had) caused my insides to try out for the 2012 All-American Gymnastic Team. The cab ride back was terrible, but after I ate some 啤酒鸭 (beer duck), I felt a lot better. Although the medicine still smells like cabbage and bleach.

Here's a commercial (from Japan):


We (Phebe, Luke, Wesley, and I) went out later on and headed to The Key, a club/bar, to watch the Dutch girls perform a dance to, what else, "Pass the Dutch" (and, to illustrate how our cultures are slightly different, I told them the meaning of "dutch" in the Islands, which they didn't expect). The Key is one of the better dance pubs out of the 6 or so that stand, monstrously large and illuminated, beside each other. Most of the people were in costumes similar to ours--half-assed. Yet, they had a really good cover band that could sing very well in English, and for the entire night they played live music instead of resorting to the same tired-ass, "Get Low", "Please Don't Stop the Music", and other random stuff "apple-bottom jeans! boots wit da furrrrrr (furrrrr!)" that they play in every club here (I would kill to have someone play, say, "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" or "Womanizer" or "Go Girl" or something that's come out in the last 5 months). During the course of the evening, the Dutch did a very good, hoochie-fied performance, I made amends with the Dutch boy who did me wrong (I shamed him very well), met an American gay dude from Kentucky and his half-Mauritian friend, watched my roommate and Wesley make out with chicks on the dance floor at K.K., and had a heated argument with this crazy stalker man from Niger who is 2 seconds away from a good old-fashioned beat-down.

All in all, my best Halloween ever. It's great being an adult.

Pictures will be up as soon as my camera comes correct.

No comments: