Saturday, February 21, 2009

young and poor

I understand the desperation that comes from being in debt.

When I was little, I saw from my mom and other people in the community what it was like to be poor, and while most managed to stay afloat, the threat of falling under literally shortens people's lives, deprives them of happiness, and creates a world outlook that looks on prosperity with a hint of contempt and acrid jealousy.

Graduating from college, and swearing that I would become financially independent upon my graduation, I recently took a long, hard look at my finances. They're quite scary, and will get scarier in the coming year(s). My goal is to be free of all debts related to undergrad by the time I go to graduate school. To do that, I'll have to start slinging crack, of working at the Rusty Jiggler nights and weekends.

Luckily, I learned after years of squandering my money how to save it, be wise with my purchases, and to value the importance of a savings account (you're supposed to SAVE in it, not just to hold money until you can spend it, nor is it for keeping a backup in case you overdraft). I'm still a little scared, especially since I've taken my car, Bertha Nellie, to get her state inspection, which I failed, because 5 things are wrong with her. The price of getting it all fixed is unspeakable.

How does one make more money when one has very little? Get another job, but the idea of working 2.5 jobs while going to class full time...yikes! I don't want to take out anymore loans, nor do I want to max out any credit cards...it seems like a cruel joke, really, especially when I JUST accepted a job that doesn't start for months and will incur quite a few expenses before I can recoup any of the initial costs.

Jeez...to be young and poor.

No comments: