Sunday, March 1, 2009

The EC

So, in the midst of the economic recession, how does one maintain an active social life in lieu of a severe drop in one's finances?

Today, I managed to go to not one but two extraordinary social events while spending less than $5.00 plus a little gas. How is this possible?

1) Don't leave your home/dorm/hole unless you have a valid reason. Sometimes you have to say no to people who want to get you out there in the dangerous realm of spending money. In fact, why leave the house? You've spent money on groceries (eat at home, people~! That's why you even go to the grocery store), you won't waste any unnecessary gas, and you'll not be trapped somewhere where you'll be tempted to spend money, like the mall, Wal-mart, or that cute fragrance shop. Keep your ass at home!

2) When you do have to leave, never go unless you're equipped with snacks. Raisins, peanuts, pumelos (柚子!), a bowl of insta-noodles, small apples, some cheese and crackers, chewing gum--always have something to much on so that your cravings won't get out of control and you're forced to order something CRAZY like pokey sticks.

3) If you're doing something like dinner with a friend, either pick a cheap place (like NY Pizza), or eat more extravegantly (Panang) but sacrifice for it. Suppose you only have $8.00 to spend for the entire day--either save it until the end, or cancel and do something that doesn't involve feeding your face, like getting a cup of coffee, or going exercising together.

4) Why buy a bottle of water when you can fill up at a fountain? Why buy soda when you can buy an iced tea that comes with refills? Why buy iced tea when you can carry around tea packets that just need a hotwater spout (located at any coffee shop, at Student Stores, at Alpine)? Or better yet, why ingest something bad for you like soda when, if you must spend money, you can ingest something good for you like a fruit juice or some soy?

5) Don't go to bars, but go to house parties. Bars...are ridiculously expensive, but if you must go to one, pre-game as beer is a lot cheaper at home than at the bar, and drinks are the best tasting when they are made at someone else's expense at a house party. Of course, no one likes a mooch, so don't drink up someone's liquor, ya' drunk!

Today, while following all these rules, I spent no more than $5.00, spent on a pinapple (a gift) for a dinner party I attended. I drank other people's liquor all day long, but instead of going crazy with it, I decided I'd safe the real fun for when I got home to my own. Also, I ate breakfast/lunch BEFORE I left my house so that I was satisfied until my next meal, and I only consumed what I could get for free or I'd have to take my happy ass home and eat there. The EC (Economic Crisis) is weighing heavily on everyone's shoulders, but this is one man who will do his best to keep from going under!

1 comment:

Chloe said...

Great tips!! I should def cut down on bar/eating out expenses!!