Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Back in Black (Mourning)

These last days have been rough, but as my Grandma would want me to move ahead and keep doing what I'm doing, I will. Some things that have happened:

I went to a bar called 乡村列车酒吧,where I was treated to a night of gambling, drag queens, watermelon slices, prostitutes from the north (西安), and shot glasses of beer by a dude I met here named Bobby Chan (I'm wary of men named Bobby). He also invited me to meet 3 of his friends, forming a sort of QAF thing between all of them. Bobby (who never told me his Chinese name) is an importer of iron ore, and his friends include a musician for commercials and two accountants. It was boring for the most part, but an incite into how people live outside the glitz and glamour of Beijing.

Also, students from all over the world have been moving into our dorms. When we first got here, only the Koreans were around, quickly followed by the Dutch. We are the only groups currently taken classes. Since then, people from Mozambique, Liberia, Germany, Bulgaria, Bangladesh, Colombia, and other places have all moved in, and I've gotten acquainted with only those people (minus the ones from Liberia, who seem to measure me with their eyes but also carry a certain level of distain...maybe 'cause they know my hair is chemically processed...and my earrings...and the casual way I associate with people of all races...hmm...).

I've taken a particular liking to the Bulgarian. Who knows how that situation can progress from where it's already been.

Moreover, I've met some other Chinese people, mostly through my girl, Phebe. Hai-miao 海淼 is particularly interesting, along with his crush on Phebe and his general demeanor. He's an example of a person who knows too much, and therefore most leave the confines of his country. Sadly enough, I believe he's letting his knowledge corrupt him because he's so bitter about everything that takes place in his country. Now, I may not like America, but I don't hate it, and I think he's past that point. It's sad because, well, it's not easy for Chinese people to leave the country. He has no option but to bow to the powers that confine him in order to be released.

Besides that, played pool with 阿山, danced on the beach in front of the foreigners late at night, discovered a pretty bomb-ass Korean soap, 口交, and hung out in the lazy port city. It not for the chaos in my heart, things would be pretty much as I expected if not a little better.

And, FINALLY, with only 117.00 dollars in my bank account, I got my financial aid deposited today. I can finally rest easy with at least that matter taken care of.

Until later, and with more frequency~!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I had my first real Chinese test today and I think I did alright, but I reallllllly wish you were here to help! Everyone at the 'bou misses you and we play the video of you shooting your face with the air shooter thing in your honor every once in a while. This week has been crazy with two Chinese quizzes and that exam and two other exams. We had music at Caribou (as you know) and I think it's going to become a regular thing, as well as other events such as Bingo and maybe speed dating. (no porchies allowed?)

Anyhow, we all miss you and mention you frequently at work. I got burned last week and it's starting to heal some, but it hurt really bad the first few days.

Wish I could fill you in on more, but I have to be at work in 10 minutes, so I should be going!!

HAVE (MORE) FUN!
-Krysta