Thursday, September 4, 2008

Grandma

The main challenge of being away in a foreign country?

It's not missing family and friends. It's not the stares, the awkward bathrooms, nor being the last to know current events. It's not the stomach cramps, the lack of hand soap and napkins, not drinking water from the tap, mosquito bites, air pollution, nor being able to speak the language fluently.

It's not being around to care for the people who matter to you most.

My grandma had surgery earlier this week, and instead of getting better right away she has gotten worse (before getting better, I hope). My family is at the hospital now, waiting by her bedside in ICU, and contacting me via email since telephone is cumbersome and expensive. They're praying over there, and I'm over here praying as well. Even though, rationally speaking, I couldn't do much of anything here or there, I would at least be there.

This is the hardest pain of living abroad, and nothing can lessen it.

All of those who know the words of prayer, please pray for me and my family, so that we'll be all the Lord will have us to be.

1 comment:

Krysta said...


i'm just dropping by to say we miss you at the 'bou and i'm praying for your grandma, you, and your family. i enjoy reading your posts and i took my first chinese exam last friday (i did average on it) and i burned myself at work tonight. (sad day, but i'm over it as long as i get worker's comp - all the porch people told me to sue, haha)
you should check out raleigh's craigslist if you're able - some random guy posted a missed connection for matt at the triangle town center caribou. he called him spunky.
anyhow, hope you're adjusting well!
-krysta