Friday, September 5, 2008

Grandma

My grandma went home to be with the Lord this morning around 6:00am CST.

I'm so torn up inside, being that I'm here and not there. I wish I could take part in the tears with my family, the planning, the arrangements, and all the other things that happen when someone passes away. But, what I can take a part in is the absolute trust in God's wisdom and goodness, the outstanding nature of His promise of eternal life, and the all encompassing love He showed my grandma in lifting her burdens, casting them aside, and inviting her home to claim her reward.

No one knows how good God is better than my grandma. She is a woman of such an inspirational faith that has taught me such valuable life lessons. She herself has experienced many of life's hardships and has always come out on top. She is sweet, loved by many, and a great chef ^_^. Before I left to come abroad, I got a chance to see her, and for my leaving she had made my favorite cake: the hummingbird. She was sad that I didn't go to church that Sunday, but we had a great discussion about it. She pulled at my heart strings in a way that no one else can make me feel. She a remarkable woman, a fantastic example of Christian life, and someone who I will always hold as an example all of humanity should follow.

She is home now, claiming her reward, and I can't help, through my profound sadness, to feel a joy beyond belief that she has traded her pain in for a crown.

All of you who know the words of prayer, please pray for me and my family in these times, and continue to praise and give thanks to God in all things. He truly is an awesome comforter.

And thank all those who prayed on her behalf. While I was praying for the wrong thing (for her to get better), I should have been praying for God's will to be done. This world all belongs to Him, and we are wise to remember that.

"What a Friend We Have in Jesus"

What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!

O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

2. Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

3. Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer! I
n his arms he'll take and shield thee;
thou wilt find a solace there.

3 comments:

Krysta said...

We're thinking of you and your family at Caribou. Amandalin and Carla say hi and Amandalin just ate a dark chocolate graham while thinking of you. Maybe there's some symbolism there?

Diadra said...

I just skimmed over your blog. This is one of the things I fear while I'm away. But, like you said, God's will be done...
Your spiritual strength is somewhat contagious. Thanks <3

Anonymous said...

*hugs* i love you papi. she is much better now and she can watch over you and make sure that you are safe overseas.